Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Code Jurisdiction

Status
Not open for further replies.

DekDee

Petroleum
Mar 12, 2012
PH
This request for clarification stems from a supposedly approved drawing submitted on a particular welding forum as an example of code jurisdictions.
The drawing showed an ASME VIII Div 1 pressure vessel with a welded 4” (100nb) outlet pipe coming directly off the vessel with seven (7) groove welds and the eighth (8th) was nominated on the drawing as the boundary between ASME VIII Div 1 and BEP (Boiler External Piping).
If the piping is classed as BEP then it is obvious the outlet piping has been fabricated in accordance with B31.1
I thought it was totally wrong and did a bit of research and unfortunately it left me even more confused.
1 How can you have Boiler External Piping without a boiler ?

2 If it is classified as Power Piping but the steam doesn’t come from a Boiler does it actually fall under the auspices of B31.1 ?

3 ASME VIII Div 1 allows the construction of pressure vessels that generate steam (eg. U-1(g) -1, 2 & 3) – what would then be the applicable piping code for the transportation of this steam ?

What seems apparent from ASME VIII, B31.1 and B31.3 is that code jurisdiction ends or begins at the first circumferential welded joint.
Herein lies my confusion – which code is applicable for that particular welded joint ?.

ASME VIII Div 1 Clause U-1(e)
U-1(e) In relation to the geometry of pressure containing
parts, the scope of this Division shall include
the following:
(a) the welding end connection for the first
circumferential joint for welded connections [see UW-
13(g)];

ASME B31.1 Clause 100.1.2
Boiler external piping shall be considered as that piping
which begins where the boiler proper terminates at
(A) the first circumferential joint for welding end
connections;
The terminal points themselves are considered part
of the boiler external piping.

ASME B31.3 Clause 300.1.3
300.1.3 Exclusions. This Code excludes the
following:
(d) pressure vessels, heat exchangers, pumps, compressors,
and other fluid handling or processing equipment,
including internal piping and connections for
external piping

Looking at those three excerpts above my interpretation is thus:
ASME 1 Boiler to B31.1 BEP – first circumferential joint falls under B31.1
ASME VIII Div 1 Pressure Vessel to B31.3 – first circumferential joint does not fall under B31.3
ASME VIII Div 1 Pressure Vessel to B31.1 piping – first circumferential joint falls under ?

Your thoughts greatly appreciated,
Regards,
DD

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The welding end connection referred to in Section VIII code space is the weld prep on the nozzle already attached to the Section VIII vessel before BEP is attached. The weld metal and piping thereafter falls under BEP technical and administrative jurisdiction.

metengr,
Thank you for your response.
Just to clarify, can you have "Boiler External Piping" without a Boiler ?
Cheers,
DD

'Looks to me that the designer just confused the wording instead should name it inlet from boiler or steam inlet... The reason maybe the nozzle is different and being reinforced for that purpose. I have done that and its not rare. Genblr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back