Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Code Practice One line Diagram in Substation

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYedison

Electrical
Mar 1, 2005
US
Guys
Could anybody please direct me to Appropriate code, practice requiring Uptodate One Line Diagram being displayed in a Medium Voltage Substation showing the incoming, tie, outgoing and feeder breakers. I know of NEC 215.5. Is there other code more eleborate on this subject?
NEC, OSHA, IEE, ANSI, IEC ?

Thanks
Marvin

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't know about being displayed, but NFPA-70E and OSHA require that accurate one-line diagrams be maintained and used as part of electrical safety requirements.

The NEC has no maintenance clause, so presumably updates would not be required beyond the initial diagram. The IEEE NESC, though, is a maintenance code. See rule 411A2. Although usually applied to utilities, the scope of the NESC also includes "similar systems under the control of qualified persons, such as
those associated with an industrial complex or utility interactive system."

Stevenal
Thanks
That makes lot of sense. 1) NEC has no maintenance clause 2) Although usually applied to utilities.

However, I understand that there is mandatory requirement for Safety and protection of operating personnel to have a One line diagram in a substation. Either OSHA, township code or the local utility may have suggested this practice in some form.
Marvin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back