Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Code requirements for pipeline closure doors

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottAO

Petroleum
Aug 5, 2009
US
thread378-208519

Hoping to continue discussion of the referenced thread.

Specifically regarding pig trap doors and filter vessel closures, the DOT regs (49 CFR 195.124) state that closures must comply with the ASME BPV Code Sect. VIII Div 1. Sect. The BPV Code sect UG-115 appears to require that all vessels have a code stamp installed.

However, in my personal experience of seeing countless closures in the field, rarely are closure doors supplied with code stamps, have relief valves per the code, or are tested to API 510. Some suppliers seem to only provide a code stamps if it is specifically requested, (but may still claim that their doors are built to the BPV code Sect. VIII.)

Is it possible for a closure door to be built to Sect. VIII and not have a code stamp or be tested to API 510? I have not seen anything yet that clearly states that this is acceptable, I've only heard "that is how we have always done it".

Concerning the code exemption for "generally recognized piping components or accessories" - I think I can understand that a pig trap barrel, or a filter vessel body, if it is made out of standard pipe, with standard nozzles, flanges, tees, fittings etc., per B31.4 can be considered "piping accessories"; but for the closure door that is engineered to an entirely different code, I don't see how that can be called a standard piping accessory.

Please note, that my questions really pertain to compliance only. I think we're doing all of the reasonable & prudent things any operator would do with their equipment, so I'm not particularly concerned about actual integrity of these components at this time.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Anything is possible. Your supposition presumes its a regulated pipeline. On unregulated pipelines there are many many things you do not have to do and other things that you can do that you would never even think of doing on a regulated pipeline.

I've been requiring code stamping for the closure on both regulated and unreglated pipelines since 1980. As you note, that stamp (on the closure only) is required for regulated pipelines.

"Pumping accounts for 20% of the world’s energy used by electric motors and 25-50% of the total electrical energy usage in certain industrial facilities."-DOE statistic (Note: Make that 99% for pipeline companies)

Thanks Biginch. Yes, I'm primarily dealing with liquid pipelines under DOT jurisdiction; I failed to mention that.

I'm just not sure how industry has justified NOT having code stamps on pig traps and other applications such as strainers and meter provers (in jurisdictional systems). Seems that you have the same interpretation that I do, that they should have a code stamp.

Probably a case of, What they don't know won't hurt them.

If you're in a position to let them know of code violations, you should probably do so. Otherwise... well ... I leave that up to you.

"Pumping accounts for 20% of the world’s energy used by electric motors and 25-50% of the total electrical energy usage in certain industrial facilities."-DOE statistic (Note: Make that 99% for pipeline companies)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back