Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Code Requirements in Laredo Mexico

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kay1W1

Materials
May 2, 2009
US
I am looking at a warehouse roof and need some information about code requirements in Laredo. I have spoken to the building department in Laredo TX and they were very helpful but were not able to provide information about Nuevo Laredo, Mexico. I have not been able to reach the City building department in Mexico, perhaps due to the flu epedemic. Here is the information I need:
1. Is the IBC (International Building Code) accepted in Nuevo Laredo?
2. What is the live load requirement for a flat (low slope) roof?
3. Is tributary load reduction permitted?
4. What are the deflection limits?
5. What is the wind speed requirement for wind analysis?
6. Are calculations acceptable or is an engineer’s certification required?
7. If certification is required, is a TX engineer’s certification acceptable?

Any information on any of these items would be very helpful.
Kay1W1 aka John - Resources for Wood Construction

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am a "newbie" to this forum but I have already figured out that if you don't get a reply to your post, the problem is probably with the post!

Instead of many detailed questions, let me simplify this to a couple of simple questions:

1. Is the IBC accepted in Mexico?

2. Are drawings and calcualtions prepared and sealed by a US engineer accepted in Mexico?

Thanks, any advice on this subject is appreciated, John aka Kay1W1

I can't answer your question directly, but would like to point out that they do have engineer licensing in Mexico, and also that the IBC wind maps stop at the border.

Government and municipal departments were back at work yesterday in Mexico and I have been able to find out some more information:

They require structural drawings and calculations signed and certified by an Architect or Engineer licensed in Mexico. They do not accept Architects or Engineers licensed in the United States.

They do not accept the IBC (International Building Code). It seems their requirement is professional certification and they accept the architect’s or engineer’s references for loads, codes and deflection although I am not clear on that.

I spoke to an engineer that we work with here in the United States and he recommended that we use the following loads and deflection limits from the IBC (International Building Code):

Live Load: (Construction load) 20 psf
This is approximately: 98 kg/m2 or 0.96 kPa

Live load deflection: L / 240

Total load deflection: L / 180

Wind speed: 90 mph
This is approximately: 145 kph

There is no requirement for snow load or seismic load

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back