Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Code Violations

Status
Not open for further replies.

esce

Mechanical
Aug 20, 2002
My associates and I have been developing a rectangular flange program for the past 2 years and are about ready to market it. The program was developed based on a "loose ring" type flange as shown in the ASME Code, Appendix 2.
The program is intended to be primarily used within the limits of the ASME Section VIII, Division 1 Code. Various flange geometries were analyzed with the program and verified with the use of finite element analysis.
My questions are would I be in violation of the ASME Code in
any way, would I be dealing with any liability issues if we go to market and do I need authorization from the ASME Code?
I am an Engineer, not a marketing guru. Maybe it would be better if we scraped the whole project.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Erie Shore Consulting Engineers, Inc.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Your software could be helpful to many people. It is the responsibility of the Manufactuer for its use. They in turn
must control and verify it to the satisfaction of the AI.

ASME will not"bless" you or your product. Suggest you keep it updated to current Code and Addenda. Put in lots of disclaimers. Perhaps send free copies to several AIAs.

I´m not a marketing gurú neither but I belive you don´t need ASME authorization.
Beside, all commertial softwares tell´s you (with more "legal" words) that they take no responsibility for any problem resulting from the use of such software. So, I believe that undirectly the CODE is also relieved.

You couldn't get ASME authorizaton if you wanted it. The committees don't like to touch flange issues. Though I am now with a certificaton (European notified body) when I worked for ASME fabricators, custom sized flanges, round and rectangular were a constant problem, especially for firms with small volume and limited in-house engineering. There should be a good market for this product, I spent many hours on home-made Appendix Y spreadsheets in Excel, and we adapted some existing square and rectangular flange monographs to our uses. To my knowledge, Codeware and Computer Engineering, who have the vast majority of ASME software market, do not have nor intend to provide Appendix Y or nonstandard flange design. It is not cost effective for them.

chicopee:

Possible applications could be site glasses, square to round transition pieces, hydraulic flanges, rectangular vessels, rectangular or square attachments to vessels or piping.....etc.

Such a program would be useful. Here are some thoughts...

1. ASME policy is not to approve or endorse specific designs or products, so it is correct that you could not get approval even if you wanted.

2. Unless the flange falls within the scope of Appendix 2, paragraph 2-10 (Noncircular Shaped Flanges with a Circular Bore), there are really no rules in Section VIII, Div. 1 that cover this case. That places the responsibility on the engineer to provide details of design and construction that are at least as safe as Section VIII, Div 1 [see U-2(g)]. There are a few papers in the public domain that discuss these types of flanges (one was mentioned on another thread but I don't remember which one). If the results can be confirmed to be consistent with FEA and/or actual testing with strain gages, as well as some of these design methods, go for it.

If you are looking for beta testers, let me know!

zcdr01,

Thanks for your responce.
Yes, we will be looking for beta testers. When we get to
that point we will contact you or anyone else who would
like to test the program.
We should be ready in a month or so.

I am a pressure vessel engineer and quite often I have to design oddball flanges to suit customer requirements i.e. square and rectangle and at the moment I use an ASME paper that a college of mine gave me. I would certainly would like to road test your programme

Thanks

Some other thoughts just in case not already considered:
When using FEA to "verify" code calculations, be sure that the appropriate safety factors have been applied. In other areas (particularly with the use of composite materials) we have seen failures as a result of this oversight. The FEA tool is great, but most often is used to indicate "actual" stresses (not ASME code stresses). Using only the FEA tool, and then calculating safety factors might be deceiving, and then your design may not last as long as expected. For reference, try using the FEA on a known design as simlar to the special design as possible and compare the SFs. If it is possible to get code stresses from the FEA, then do this. Hope this is helpful.

I would also like a beta version if possible. Thanks.

Dear esce/associates,

Rectangular bolted and gasketed flanges together with mating Covers are often used for Header Boxes of Air Cooled Heat Exchangers designed to ASME and API Codes.

However the design rules of rectangular flange are presently not covered by ASME codes.

If you want this to be recognized for code users you may submit it to ASME code authorities for publishing the procedure as a Code Case. After examining it, they will allot a code case number and the users can use it on the ASME vessels by referring the code case number. However the code case has certain validity period. If it is decided by code authorities to incorporate into the code they may do so and the code case then expires. Otherwise it shal be extended. You may contact ASME authorities accordingly.

You can send me the beta version for checking and comments if any. I can do ths for you.

V.Dwaraka Krishna.
dwarakakrishna@sify.com

I want to be a beta tester too.

You said one month, for next reply you said two months, may be with this reply you will take four months, PLEASE, BOYS, DON'T ASK HIM ANYMORE!

(just a joke...)

Heyner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back