Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Code writing/comms problem with PIC programmer 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

haggisbasher

Electrical
Mar 23, 2005
GB
Hi all,

I have just purchased a pic programmer tutorial kit from Velleman. It is called K8084 PIC programmer. it has a PCB that you have to populate and programming software on disc. I'm using an Advent7340DVD laptop.

Here's what I've done and the problem i'm having now:

(1)Populated circuit
(2)Powered up OK
(3)Installed and unzipped software to a desktop shortcut (file characters have to be under 63 to assemble code)
(4)followed instructions for compiling (successful)demo.HEX file created (using MPASMWIN.EXE)

Problem comes when I try to write code with PCB connected via 9 way serial port with chip in IC plug (pIC 16F627).

Using PICPROG2.EXE and following instructions for setting software, when 'write' is selected a warning comes up saying 'K8084 not found at COM1'? This is where I am unsure what to do next. The com port1 in device manger is on address 03F8-03FF and IRQ4 and on generic bus.

I have checked base I/O address in F2 set-up, it is 3F8 IRQ4 on 'user'.

I have no idea what to do from here. The PROGPIC2 software has a selection for COM1-COM8, none of the others (2-8) work. Error message COM-INIT-ERROR comes up if any of these others are selected.

I have also used a tower PC and it does exactly the same i.e. 'K8084 not found at COM1'.

The instructions say that any other device shouldn't be using IRQ3 or 4. How do I find that out?

Hope someone can help..?

Regards

Andrew

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Haggisbasher, Guys, lets keep this in motors where it was mistakenly started.

Sorry for the run-around Haggisbasher. [flush]

Furthermore Haggisbasher I would post this type question in either ELECTRICAL/ELECTRONIC ENGINEERING or CIRCUIT ENGINEERING not PROGRAMMABLE LOGIC CONTROLLERS.

Haggisbashe; Someone got torqued and blew off your original post. Hope you read it all first.

With respect to the Hyper Terminal, instead go to my site and get MTTTY.

It's a great little Terminal program and has none of the baggage present with HT.

Goto:
On the left there is a "DOWNLOAD" box. Hit that, then on the new screen download MTTTY. It is pretty self explanatory and a definite tool to toss into your bag of goodies.

I like the MTTTY. Good to have in the computer. This one I understand - not always the case with other terminal emulators.

Gunnar Englund

Glad you can use it skogs.

Yeah that was a MSFT C compiler demo program. I hacked it a bit. I use it all the time for stuff. If you need it to do something just check the boxes until it does what you want.. :)

Hello itsmoked

I suggested he post in this forum and did not mean to lead him in the wrong direction I am looking forward to comments about this post as I have a similar problem w/Allen
Bradley hand shaking with my 1747PIC and com 1 I will keep an eye on further comments.

Also I'm not requesting to address my issue as I do not want to hijack this valuable post.

Thanks for MITTY it looks interesting.

Thanks, Chuck

Howdy machmech;

Glad you too can find some use for that tool.

Haggisbasher seems to have dropped off the radar so what's your problem? What is a "1747PIC"???

Itsmoked

I'm sorry for the slang, I was referring to the 1747 - pic interface module Allen/Bradley uses to communicate from an rs232 device (modem) to an SLC 500 processor.

I have a rack at home and it is a Father/Son project so I am not under the gun to get it going! I have gathered some information and need to check some things out, but until I have exhausted all my efforts and were not having fun anymore..
[hairpull]
Then I'll bring it to the big court to see what you guy's can advise.

Thanks, Chuck

machmech; use MTTTY and a cable. Jumper the cable to get echoing back working using loopback.

Then hook it up to your card and try catching output and cramming chars back in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back