Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Codes and Reference Standards Subscription Services - Redux 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd K.

Mechanical
Mar 30, 2021
US
thread784-376748

The referenced thread above discussed options for a small business to access engineering codes and standards. The consensus was for a small business, purchasing single standards as needed was the most cost effective option. The OP did mention that at the time he was employed by a large organization that utilized IHS subscription service.

I am looking at options for a large organization (total 3000 employees). Though only a handful of us are engineers that would ever need access to standards. I am familiar with Techstreet and IHS. Are there any others worth mentioning and what would be the price range for a subscription service? Some standards we may need include ASME, IEEE, ASHRAE, CTI (Cooling Tower Institute).

Thanks,

Todd K.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

ToddK. said:
Though only a handful of us are engineers that would ever need access to standards.

Todd...not true. You need to know the standards you specify. I have done peer reviews on many structural, civil, and architectural specifications and have found numerous citations to outdated and inapplicable standards. Please note that many standards are referenced in building codes and most codes state that those reference standards apply as if included verbatim within the code.

I don't know of any subscription services which carry all the standards you are mentioning. I looked at getting an ASTM subscription recently, but its only ASTM. Also, more and more, standards are available online for free - practically all local building codes are available on UpCodes for free now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back