Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Codes regarding swimming pool applications 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjholl0

Automotive
Dec 15, 2006
US
I was wondering if anyone knew of an electrical code requiring electrical devices to be submersible if within a certain proximity to water? Specifically, someone wants to hang a large ceiling fan 9 feet over a salt water swimming pool. A colleague mentioned a requirement that it had to be submersible and I am much more familiar with mechanical codes then electrical so I was looking for some guidance. Thanks in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The polite and kind thing to do is just not answer this, but that's not me.
Your colleague is kidding you and it worked.
Think about it: A submersible ceiling fan?? For continued operation in areas prone to flooding to depths of more than 9 Feet???
Play along. Tell your colleague that you have found a submersible fan but it is only rated to 6 feet, not 9 feet. What to do?? Can you mount it closer to the water??
PS, Make up a part number for him.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

The National Electrical Code (NFPA 70) includes an article (680) on swimming pools - and a few references to ceiling fans. I don't know how many models might be available suitable for submersion in salt-water but they are not likely sold at Home Depot.

NEC text includes the following example requirements:
(1) New Outdoor Installation Clearances. In outdoor pool areas, luminaires, lighting outlets, and ceiling-suspended (paddle) fans installed above the pool or the area extending 1.5 m (5 ft) horizontally from the inside walls of the pool shall be installed at a height not less than 3.7 m (12 ft) above the maximum water level of the pool.

(2) Indoor Clearances. For installations in indoor pool areas, the clearances shall be the same as for outdoor areas unless modified as provided in this paragraph. If the branch circuit supplying the equipment is protected by a ground-fault circuit interrupter, the following equipment shall be permitted at a height not less than 2.3 m (7 ft 6 in.) above the maximum pool water level:
(1) Totally enclosed luminaires
(2) Ceiling-suspended (paddle) fans identified for use beneath ceiling structures such as provided on porches or patios.

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough but I thought it went without saying the fan wasn't intended to be submersible. The concern was for the proximity of electrical devices (in this case the fan) and what kind of protection they needed to have in order to be placed around a swimming pool. What JLSeagull provided was exactly what I was looking for. Just a pointer to the Electric code that dealt with this.

Regards

I apologize to cjholl0 for my remarks. My remarks did not reflect well on the professionalism of these fora and would not serve to encourage new members.
I accept your comments, cjholl0, I was out of line and I am sorry.
I have given JLSeagull a star for his professional response.
I should probably self impose a little cool-down time between composing and posting. Grin

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

A fan hangin over a swimming pool ( especially a salt water swimming pool) will probably corrode as you watch it.
Just don't use an alunimum ladder when you go out to service ( change it out every 3 months).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back