Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

CoDeSys programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

l8mackey

Marine/Ocean
Jan 23, 2009
US
Does anyone have any experience with CoDeSys programming methodology. It appears to be in use mostly in Europe but we don't have a good feel for how well it does as a programming language or how easy it is to maintain, etc.

Thanks Larry

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Codesys is the base software for many PLC/controller manufacturers. I've learned it using TwinCAT and found that learning the IEC 61131 standard has been hugely beneficial as I came across other controllers based on the standard.

You can download and try out TwinCAT for free to get a feel for it. This video will get you up and running in less than 15 minutes:

I have used this a lot to program Wago PLCs. I really like it, it is really easy to navigate, and you can mix and match the IEC 61131 languages by calling functions programmed in a different language.
This is great for using sequential automation within a larger program.

I've worked with a lot of platforms, including Step7, RSLogix, a few different GE platforms, DirectSoft, whatever the Omron one is, etc. Codesys definately holds up well when used with the Wago at least.
The tag and variable creation could be better, but it's not a problem once you get used to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back