Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Coefficient of Friction b/t clay and concrete base 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tocoadog

Geotechnical
Dec 4, 2002
US
Anyone have a table or a reference? I have a sand reference but nothing on clay? Also, is this dependent on the adhesion like a pile?

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Table 11-6 in my 3rd edition of Bowles Foundation Analysis and Design gives a friction angle of 17 - 19 for a medium stiff & stiff clay & silty clay to mass concrete; and a value of 22 - 26 for very stiff & hard residual or preconsolidated clay to mass concrete.

As for adhesion, I have always used 0.6 times the cohesion for cast in place concrete.

Of course any resistance value should be limited by the less of the adhesion and friction values.

tocoa,

NAVFAC DM 7.2 Table 1 p63 shows friction angle of 17-19 degrees for concrete/cohesive soils. It's common practice to take the coefficient as 0.3.

Jeff

Jeffrey T. Donville, PE
TTL Associates, Inc.

The views or opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of my employer.

Disregard the last line of my last post, it is not always the case. Whether you use the friction or adhesion value will depend on the type of loading and soil type. Just remember that the soil/concrete boundery cannot exceed the values in the soil imeadiately below the boundry.

I will first state that I believe that most, not all, clays have some amount of long term cohesion; i.e. I do not believe that all clays by default have a long term c=0.

That said, for most retaining wall situations, I would use the friction value between the wall and the soil. If I had actual lab testing consisting of drained test results for the soil at the bottom of the wall, then I would use 2/3 of the drained friction angle plus 0.3 or so times the cohesion.

If I had a short term loading condition, then I would just use the adhesion.

My experience with clay soils and retaining structures, indicates that most wall designs are not controlled by base sliding, but are controlled by global stability or overturning. Where it gets ify is when you have a clayey silt kind of soil with a relatively high drained strength. In those cases sliding of the retaining wall can controll and you have to make a judgement on how much, if any, of the adhesion to include.

I would also point out that it is relatively simple to add a shear key to the bottom of footing in clay or silty clays. This pretty much gets rid of the question of how much of the adhesion to use since a good portion of the potential failure plan passes throught the soil and not at the boundry between the materials.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back