Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Coefficients of Friction for Polyethylene

Status
Not open for further replies.

sloquick

Petroleum
Aug 16, 2002
US
Can't find anywhere. Does anyone have typical values for MDPE-MDPE, MDPE-HDPE and HDPE-HDPE. Application is cable being pulled through conduit. Static? Dynamic? Variation with speed? Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

How accurate do you need it?

tipical generic values (static)for plastic/plastic and plastic/steel: 0,3 to 0,6

tipical generic values (static)for PTFE/plastic and PTFE/steel: 0,05 to 0,1

From my experience, PA as low friction and good abrasion resistence.

Try and . Maybe you can get detailed information there.

Regards

I have a similar problem with long pcb's in a poly carb tube extrusion.
The main issue as I see it is the level of uncertainty; how much of the item will be touching the tube and will there be any snags etc. These could make the calc error high.
Starting friction is probably the greatest concern; once things are moving force drops right off, I observe.
How about building a test setup that is long enough to allow most of the variables to be "at the party"?
Compare observations (I don't say results!) to any calcs you do and see where that takes you.
Have a look at thread in this forum re: friction of acetal and abs, for suggested info sources.
Cheers. "The ideal client is one possessed of great good sense and perfect judgement;
that is to say, one who agrees entirely with the designer at all times and in every respect."
Fenwick Williams, Naval Architect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back