Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Coils to cool Tank Product

Status
Not open for further replies.

lgarcia1800

Civil/Environmental
Nov 7, 2008
US
I am trying to determine how long it would take to cool 12,000BBLs of Glacial acetic acid at 90F to 75F using coils that provide 480sqft of surface area and are filled with chilled water at 40F. I believe I have all the information i need however, It had been a long time since I have ran calcs for heat transfer. Anyones help would be apprecaited.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In Kern's book there is a chapter titled "Batch and Unsteady-state Processes". There is a section titled "Coil-in-tank or Jacketed Vessel, Isothermal Cooling Medium".

lgarcia1800,

You have almost everything you need. You first have to determine whether you are going to let ambient conditions into this formula. For example, if the process is sitting in a vessel during cooling, we need to consider the temperature outside and whether that is working for us or against us.

If you want to assume you have an adiabatic barrier around the process, the formula becomes much more simplified.

Are you looking for approximates for feasibility or do you need exact numbers?

Approximate numbers will work. And the ambient temp would need to be considered. Our days are hot in Texas so I would assume a temp between 90F to 100F for summer months.

Can you get your hand's on Perry's Chemical Engineers' Handbook? The solution to the differential equations you need is in one of the heat transfer section under "Batch Operations".

Good luck,
Latexman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back