Coin cell compartments/doors

Status
Not open for further replies.

EngTechUK

Mechanical
Jun 7, 2019
GB
Hi all,

For consumer electronic applications that are powered by coin cells (e.g. cr2032 and the like - although question still stands for other battery types) - is it normal to use any off the shelf parts/geometries for the compartment or door?

For the compartment, I can see that this might be tied more into the product design, but battery compartment doors must end up so similar across designs that I thought generics might exist/be viable?

Thanks very much for any information.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Never seen that to be the case. The door is part of the case, and the case is different in almost all instances. My gripe is usually with the itty-bitty Phillips screw that holds down the door in the cases where the designer was too lazy to come up with a non-tool approach to retaining the door.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Thanks IRstuff - Agreed on the gripe around prolific use of fasteners - even more so as I assume it's more expensive to produce/assemble compared to a snap type closure...

It seems strange to me - whilst you're right in that the door is doubtless part of the case, I find myself recreating the same flat, snap type door that I'm sure exists with tiny variations across thousands of different products - just doesn't seem very value-add.

There is little value-added, until the supply chain croaks; then, management asks why we didn't buy everything from the same manufacturer that supplies the cases. Presumably, there's an ever so slight reduction in inventory control cost

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

The requirement to use a screwdriver on coin cell doors is driven by the desire to avoid injuring or killing small children who tend to open anything they can and then swallow the cells.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back