Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Coincident node removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgbridges

Structural
Nov 21, 2006
US
I am attempting to remove coincident nodes in the input file for an ABAQUS analysis. I've heard that it can be done in the CAE, but I am not using that. Any ideas of a keyword to remove the duplicates?

I've been using *mpc, tie to connect the nodes, but since there are a lot, I'd rather not have to. It is an option, however.

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If there's a lot of them and they extend over an area of a surface then you could define the surface and then tie the two surfaces together.

corus

How good are those Tie surface? are they good enough even I use next to the area that is most intrested?

Tied surfaces will give beter results if the nodes are concident. If the nodes are on the same plane but offset then you can get interpolation errors and the results at the coincident surfaces will be noticeable. Creating the surfaces will be a problem though and personally I'd just go back and make a single part and avoid messy merging/tying nodes

corus

I've tried doing the surface definition thing, and it works to some extent (the biggest problem being where tied nodes are also part of an embedded element).

I'm basically just having problems modeling a structure that is repeated three times - I built the original part, then instanced it three times, and am trying to connect the junctions. Unfortunately, even with them connected (using *mpc, tie) I'm getting numerical problems all over the place.

Thanks for the help, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back