Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cold Water Coagulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zetaman

Industrial
Dec 13, 2005
GB
I'm interested in discussing the experiences of people involved in using Alum as a coagulant in low temperature climates. A plant I look after suffers badly in the winter months and should 'ideally' have additional flocculation time added..but that's another story. I'd like to use a Polyaluminium chloride but cost is not on my side.

cheers.Chris

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I use alum at my plant in our coagulation process. This is the first year we've ran in the cold weather months since i've been an operator. I get a real disturbing of the tank with the colder weather. I would also like to here some discussions on this.

Thanks for Replying chaps. I've tried getting hold of the WTW but no joy yet.

What I find is that the treatment works needs additional flocculation time when the water temperature drops below about 6 (celcius) but this is currently not available. Literature reviews (backed up by my own jar testing) shows that increasing the pH set point at these times is beneficial. We normally operate at 6.2 but I've suggested a rise to at least 6.8. This worked in the jar test but was mixed on the plant (probably because some Operators didn't buy into the changes and reset things before allowing the changes a chance).

Also the plant only uses alum and jar tests with a Polyaluminium chloride have produced significantly better turbidities. Again cost implications are standing in the way of this suggestion.

Interested to here anyone else's experiences.

cheers....Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back