Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cold Weather Perc Test

Status
Not open for further replies.

ek59715

Civil/Environmental
Nov 26, 2007
US
I was wondering if anyone has any tips on performing a cold weather perc test. We recently hit near-0 degree temps about a week ago and it has been consistently under freezing since. MT state DEQ allows two different test procedures, one of which allows the test to be run without a pre-soak period. The test should take about 1 to 1 1/2 hours to complete maximum. I will shoot for a day when its over 32 degrees, however, I'm wondering about the potential for frozen ground seeing how I am conducting the test 24 inches below ground.
Any help or comments are appreciated.
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We encounter that problem in Alaska also - though we run our tests at a greater depth, usually at least 4 feet deep. As long as the ground isn't frozen at that depth, and air temps aren't much below freezing, tests can be completed satisfactorily. To keep water/ground from freezing, the perc hole should be covered after digging it, through test completion (between readings/adding water/etc.). You could get more elaborate, but a piece of plywood is probably sufficient.

I recommend you use one (or more) of the following for such testing...

Amoozemeter (Compact Constant Head Permeameter)

Guelph Permeameter

Double Ring Infiltrometer

...and review the following references:

Frozen Ground Engineering
Orlando B Andersland (2004)

Factors Affecting Measurement of the Near-Saturated Soil Hydraulic Conductivity
Vincenzo Bagarello, Massimo Iovino, and Giuseppa Tusa
Soil Science Society of America Journal, Volume 64 (2000)

Hydraulic Conductivity in Frozen Soils
T P Burt and P J Williams
Earth Surface Processes, Volume 1, Issue 4 (1976)

tsgrue: site engineering, stormwater
management, landscape design, ecosystem
rehabilitation, mathematical simulation

You might also get more reponses by posting in the "Soil/Groundwater environmental engineering Forum"

tsgrue: site engineering, stormwater
management, landscape design, ecosystem
rehabilitation, mathematical simulation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back