Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cold welding 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Cold welding is good. As long as you heat "something" above the melting point of steel. Then cool it down so it is solid again.

See also soldering and brazing.

PS. We are being sarcastic because your question makes little sense and contains no relevant information about your specific problem.

Really, does "Tell me everything I need to know about welding" make sense?

Still no one understands you, nor will you ever understand us I guess. Not being sarcastic, but some basic english may help you getting your way around here, and gain mutual understanding, so we can help you.
Hopefully youll understand this.

From the photo provided, it appears you wish to butt weld an area of the tank wall to connect two existing butt welds along the same horizontal joint, and which must include a vertical riveted lap joint between two plates on one side of the weld joint. As others pointed out, there is no such thing as a "cold weld". Fusion welds require heating the materials within the weld zone to above their melting point.

With your situation, since you have already done quite a bit of welding either side of the location in question, I can't see a problem with using the same weld process to complete the joint. Is your concern about any potential distortion/leakage the welding might produce in the existing riveted lap joint?

Thanks tbuelna what about different thickness ,second course is double thickness of first course and,procedure of company is 1_ we will weld with electrode 2.5mm 7018
2_cold weld by material like epoxy
I don't understand this procedure ?

I would imagine that you would use the same weld procedure for the remainder of the weld. At the location of the riveted lap joint, you only need to butt weld the lower panel to the inner flange of the riveted lap joint, since that is the interface that forms a seal. You can bevel the outer flange of the lap joint enough such that the initial weld pass(es) only joins the inner panels. Then you can make a final weld to secure the outer flange.

If the riveted lap joints were good enough to seal the tank before, the weld repairs you are adding should not affect them.

Good luck to you.
Terry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back