Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Collaboration 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsankar

Mechanical
Aug 1, 2001
IN
Hello,

Does Ansys or any other software provide facility for collaboration between remote machines?.Is there any other software available which can be used for collaboration between machines during engineering analysis?.

Thanks,

TS

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello tsankar,
Do you mean distributed parallel computing? To my know ANSYS started distributed parallel computing with the version 5.7. MSC/NASTRAN has started earlier, I think it was release 70.5, at least this capability is in version 70.7, that I use now. You can use also the PVM tools to make your computation distributed in to many machines.
Below I citate the ANSYS comment to this topic :

The Distributed Domain Solver (DDS) is a scalable solver designed for use in a distributed-memory environment or a combination of both distributed- and shared-memory environments. It is intended for large static or full transient analyses with symmetric matrices that do not involve pre-stress, inertia relief, coupling, or constraint equations. DDS divides a model into multiple “domains”, that is, contiguous groupings of finite elements drawn from the complete model. Each individual domain is generally 1,000 to 10,000 degrees of freedom in size. Each processor solves its own set of domains, communicating with the other processors using OpenMP (Open Message Protocol) threads within a system and MPI (Message Passing Interface) across systems. Unlike other schemes—which typically have a single domain associated with each CPU—DDS typically has multiple domains associated with each CPU. Parallel Performance for ANSYS offers engineers the benefit of decreased time to completion as well as the option of using either multiprocessing servers or a cluster of workstations networked together.

regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back