colombian seismic code nsr-10

Status
Not open for further replies.

senthil83

Mechanical
Jun 26, 2012
IN
dear all,

i am using colombian seismic code nsr-10 for one of my project.

i have doubt, as per code i have calculated seismic base shear as Vs = Sa g M

How to use the R-value in the seismic calculation.

there is no formula given in code on using it in seismic base shear calculation.

please clarify

regards,

senthil

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If your code doesn't call for the use of R then you don't use it. I presume you are bound by the laws of your State or Province or locality.

If you have the option of using proper US codes, then I suggest you go that route. Be very careful when mixing the two.

Just a note that assuming US codes are more proper is a little presumptuous.

I like reading various seismic codes, because they're all just different ways of coming up with a consensus level of risk. I don't speak the language, but math is universal and table tables and graphs are pretty informative. NSR-10 actually looks reasonably sophisticated and I wish I could understand the language.

It looks like they use a partial factor system to determine R, where the Base R0 is for the structural system, and then there are various partial factors for different irregularities and other factors which might limit post plastic performance. That's pretty good.

I haven't traced all the way through, but there's a section where the math seems to imply that they could be using R as a modifier on the design period so that you pick from a lower part of the spectrum. That'd be a neat way to handle it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back