Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Color printing problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

beej67

Civil/Environmental
May 13, 2009
US
Not a modeling question, more a software bug question.

I'm printing to Adobe PDF (via Adobe Acrobat Standard v8) and quite recently HydroCAD has stopped printing in color. I do this:

Print>
Printer Settings>
Select Adobe PDF from my dropdown, then click Properties>
Paper/Quality tab>

...and under "Color" it has the "Black and White" box picked.

So I pick the "Color" box instead>
Okay>
Okay>

Now I should be printing in color. I go:

Print>
Report>
Print>

...and the Print Setup box pops up again. I check Properties and the Color box is still picked, like it should be. I hit "OK."

...and the report prints in black and white instead of color. Then if I go back and check my printer settings, they've been reset to black and white instead of color, even though I didn't reset them.

Weird huh? Any ideas? The behavior is fairly recent, probably within the last month.

Hydrology, Drainage Analysis, Flood Studies, and Complex Stormwater Litigation for Atlanta and the South East -

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I suspect your default PDF printer settings have changed. Open the Windows printers folder and check the PDF properties there. I suspect the default setting have been changed from Color to B&W.

Changing the settings for each print job should work, but I've found that Acrobat often ignores these settings and goes back to the defaults.

FYI, HydroCAD doesn't change the printer settings in any way. It uses the existing settings as-is.

Peter Smart
HydroCAD Software

msquared - Adobe PDF creator doesn't have an ink cartridge, nor does my Samsung Syncmaster monitor. :) No joy there.

I checked the windows defaults before I posted actually, Peter, and the windows defaults are still "color," and when I create PDFs out of other softwares (without changing the defaults) they come out in color. This is an issue unique to HydroCAD.

Sounds like you might be out of ideas, and if so no sweat, I'll just keep fishing around on my end. I was mostly hoping you'd heard of this happening before.

Hydrology, Drainage Analysis, Flood Studies, and Complex Stormwater Litigation for Atlanta and the South East -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back