Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Colour codes for piping 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buck29

Mechanical
Oct 14, 2003
BE
Does anyone have or know where I can get colour codes for piping. Steam, water, air, hydraulics etc. etc.

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

bchoate
The identification of hazardous materials conveyed in pipe is covered in ASME 13.1-1996. A company providing pipe labeling materials is at There are at least two ways pipe can be identified by color. Vinyl pipe banding tape can be purchased from Seton. A color code consisting of 4 bands of color can be used to identify each material within the piping of any facility. I have used this system within large pilot plants. It seems that 13.1 calls for more info on labels than that system affords. 13.1 calls out label size, font size, and information needed by pipe size. Seton produces pipe labels consistent with 13.1 that contain customer specified wording. The Seton system divides materials into three classes by hazard and color codes accordingly. The customer must specify the material in the line and something about the hazard it poses.
e.g. "150 PSIG Steam", "600 PSIG HYDROGEN", "50% NaOH"
It would seem that Seton can assist you with pipe labeling.
There is a question of how many times an individual line should be labeled. A long line may need to be labeled more.
Valve labeling is also covered by Seton.
Bill Choate

Here in Florida we have adopted a statewide standard for color coding for piping and underground utilities. Blue = potable water, green = wastewater, purple = reclaimed water,red = electric, and so on. This is all under our Call Sunshine program. I would think each state and utility therein would have similar practices - No?

Or are you looking for pipe markers to buy - if you do buy them they should not conflict with established local standards or practices.

Buck29:

Since you use the word "colour", I presume you're located outside the USA. I have no knowledge about national or local regulations existing for the identification of fluid-transport piping in English-speaking countries outside the USA. I have built and operated many plants and facilities outside the USA and none required color-coded piping. I also have operated and worked in USA plants and have never had a color-code imposed on me.

This is unfortunate and sadly lacking, in my opinion. My safety record over the 40+ years of my career reflect the importance of color-coding piping. I have not operated in Florida and I find yogibear1's information a good indication that, perhaps, things are changing in a positive way. bchoate brings up some excellent techniques that were applied in the past with success: using plastic tape to "band" sections of pipe every-so-often. From my practical experience I can advise you that regardless of what your operation involves, you will soon run out of the available, practical color codes and will have to resort to other, related means - such as color bandings & combinations.

I've always regarded this as a very strong safety and training tool as well as a maintenance help - however, history has shown me that I'm one of a few who consider this issue important. I still maintain that this system preserved and propagated my safety record as project engineer, production manager, plant manager, & project manager. I early on developed my personal and favorite logical color codes for the predominant hazardous gases and other fluids that I frequently found and used. I suspect that you will wind up using a listing that you have to develop also. Since I worked in different countries around the globe, I found it necessary to develop my codes based on a survey of readily available local paints and primers. This is done for obvious maintenance and availability reasons and an attempt to eliminate the need to invest and store primers and paints within your plant.

To my knowledge, the USA government makes no attempt to mandate a color code; I believe OSHA recommends one.

I hope this helps. I know you are going in the right safety direction.

Art Montemayor
Spring, TX

Australia uses AS1345

These seemed similar to the colours in some of the international companies pipeing standards. I cannot remember any specific companies off the top of my head.

I am a great fan of colour coding particularly in factories and when you are doing a one off job for people. And Flow directions as well.

I would not be able to tell what is asked for here, but I would like to ask in addition to what Buck29 asked, that could anyone suggest where can I get a colour code for SF6 gas piping.
Thanks

"Knowledge is power"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back