Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Colour used for hand marked updates to engineering drawings 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

PetroBob

Chemical
Dec 23, 2005
CA
What colours are typically used for checking and updating process drawings? What about other engineering disciplines, eg civil drawings?

Typically companies I've worked with use red for additions, green for deletions and blue or black for comments (that are not CADDED). This is for hand markups to the Master drawings, before they are sent to CAD. (Whereas squad check markups may be made with a variety of colours or systems that differ from company to company.) Is this red/green/blue colour system industry-wide, or just the companies I've worked for? I'm interested in North America mostly, but would also like to know if there is a generally accepted colour coding convention used worldwide. And is this consistent between engineering disciplines?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Two engineering offices I worked for used the following coding:

RED - demolition
BLUE - construction
GREEN - comments (for clarification purposes only)

The companies were outside of US.

Dejan IVANOVIC
Process Engineer, MSChE

Where I work [Ontario, Canada] red for additions, green for deletions, etc.

CR

"As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another." [Proverbs 27:17, NIV]

Note that green doesn't photocopy...First time I've ever heard of this system. I personally use green for notes to myself, such that those notes do not copy (or scan in black and white).

CAD for process drawings:

Additions : Red
Deletions : Blue
Comments / directions to CAD : Green
Notes by engineer ( to be ignored by CAD ) : Pencil

Modifications to CAD process drawings to be only via Controlled Process Master markup

My experience matches the majority: Red to add, green to delete, blue to comment. My first Designer was adamant on the subject, and it stuck.

As Process Discipline, in a global and big engineering company (US driven), for P&IDs, we only used red (for any modifications) and yellow (for check, confirmation).
Yellow is transparent in copies.
Other disciplines (Instruments and Piping) added other red comments on the Process Master.
In case of massive modifications required, the Process Masters were copied before implementing other comments.
This master passed to the Project Engineer for the final comments (red or blue to override) and finally to the Draftmen.
In case of short time available, parallel Master Copies were created and commented by each Discipline (Process, Instruments and Piping) and then passed to the Project Engineer.

Colour codes may vary from company to compnay or project to project.

Generally following colours are used:

1. Red Pen/Pencil: For Comments
2. Blue Pen/Pencil: For Deleting
3. Green Pen/Pencil: For Suggestions
4. Orange Highlighter: For Self Check
5. Yellow Highlighter: For Desipline Check

Dinesh S SHELATKAR.
Process Engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back