Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Column and shear wall interaction 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

xnyzhangshulu

Structural
Aug 29, 2008
CN
Hi, everyone.
I've modeled a 23 stories high-rise building, dual system(special resisting moment frame and shear wall). Usually, there will be a column at the intersection of the two orthogonal shear walls. But what we usually do is ignoring this column and not developing the column in our etabs model. I wanna know what's your opinion about this and your methods? Thanks in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think that this is appropriate to ignore the column while modeling in ETABS because at corners of those shear walls boundry elements or confined reinforcement will take care of that.

Zeeshan

Hi, Zeeshan
Thanks for sharing your ideas.But you know, sometimes, the dimensions of the column would be larger than the width of the shear wall, so the stiffness and corresponding seismic base shear will be different. How to consider this?
Thanks.
Shulu Zhang

Hi Shulu Zhang

I dont think that the size of the column will impact that much in the contribution of base shear, even the coulmn width is double than the Shear wall thickness. Let me try some tests on ETABS to make a conclusion.

Thanks
Zeeshan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back