Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Column and Shear wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alirezai

Civil/Environmental
Mar 11, 2002
I want to know if we model the wall between the columns, attached to them, should we delete the columns or not (I mean in reality are the columns exist in the system?) Some believe they can be exist and design them as a column but I cant accept this idea because I think the Connection between wall and column make them as a unique wall element. (in Seismic Design Handbook by F. Naeim no column has been modeled.)I am mixed up and need help. thanks alot.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I had a similar situation except that the walls were half height ones. I designed the columns and the walls seperately. Also had to put additional ties at the column top to avoid plastic hinging.

[ponytails]

benjaman

Benjaman - I don't you think you put the additional ties in to avoid plastic hinging but rather to maintain the confinement during yielding (hinging).

The only way to avoid plastic hinging under certain loads is 1. Not to have those loads or 2. Design the system of elements so robust that there is no money left over for the fancy architechual adornments!

Regards,
Qshake
[pipe]
Eng-Tips Forums:Real Solutions for Real Problems Really Quick.

you should design the column and the wall separately. your wall will be design as shear wall making your column a supported one.

fratrowie

thanks to all
What will happen if we delete the Column? and what will we get if model the column and design it ? I think in this situation column act as a part of wall.

if i were in your place i would model the column and the wall and design each of them on the forces that result from model
but in detailing i do not know what would be the connection between Horizontal Rft of the wall and the column Ties

Note that this thread is cross-posted in forum726.

Alirezai, we try to keep from posting copies of threads in other areas so we don't waste the members time answering questions that have been answered elsewhere. It also keeps all the information in the responses in one place.

We design low to mid-rise concrete buildings up to 20 stories so far. If we have a shear wall then we do not add columns to either side. If the architect placed a shear wall between two columns, we delete them. Design the wall to take the axial load and the shear load.

I'm sorry Ucfse! Since I didn't know the website good enough I posted it times. First I send it to somewhere else but someone told me it should be post to another forum. sorry again.

twinnell, I prefer your method and I myself do it like that. How do you design your frame to be able to resist 25% of earthquake force?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back