Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Column bents - Response modification factor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nayan67

Civil/Environmental
Feb 8, 2023
PH
I am currently designing a simply supported bridge that utilizes double bent columns, and I need to consider earthquake design. I have a question regarding the use of the response modification factor as recommended by the code. Should I apply the response modification factor for multiple bent columns only in the direction where framing action occurs (x-axis in the attached figure), or should I apply it in both directions (x-axis and y-axis)? I ask this because, in the direction where there is no framing action, the column behaves as a cantilever. In such cases, whether we should use the response modification factor recommended for the single column (R = 3, for operational cateogry other) rather than multiple column bents (R = 5, for operational cateogry other). I would greatly appreciate your suggestions and comments.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=53a78137-49db-45a7-98d5-51c6ae4489f7&file=Double_column_bents.jpg
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This is basic knowledge for an experienced engineer.

Yes!! R= 5.0 shall only be applied at transversal direction ( X axis ) where the frame behavior occurs.

- In longitudinal direction ( along the bridge deck ) the bent columns behaves as a cantilevers and R=3.0

Probably , it would be better to ask services or consultancy of an experienced engineer ..

Don't underestimate a nail. A nail saves a horseshoe, a horseshoe saves a horse, a horse saves a commander, a commander saves an army, an army saves a whole country.. GENGHIS KHAN

If you're using cantilever columns as a seismic resisting system, also check your code for other requirements. Because of the lack of redundancy and the stability concerns, the Canadian code has requirements like requiring Class 1 sections (compact), some other geometrical constraints, and capacity based connections for the restrained end. You have to ensure that the section stays stable if a hinge forms and that the connection can get you to that point without failing in a non-ductile way.

Hturkak and TLHS thank you so much for your response.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back