Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Column Design, CSI ETABS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahmed A. Alamin

Structural
Oct 28, 2019
SD
Hello everyone, i'm trying to design R.C columns in a multi-story building, i've noticed that the demand/capacity ratio doesn't change when you change the column direction (rotate the column 90 degree so that the larger moment to be about the major axis. Could anyone explain why this happens.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Does the program report member property? Check the report to see if the list "Ix, Iy" agree with the orientation.

If your specified column section and main reinforcement are symmetrical in a section cut, the major axis will not change even if you change the rotation of that column. Rebar placement is key in determining your major axis.

What is the type of structure you are designing and which version of ETABS?
Send your Etabs file so that we can check for any bugs in it..

johnie134 said:
Hello peoppe, i use external software to do the design as I am aware of that bug. But I posted yesterday and my post dissapeared, why?!

You can red flag your own, most recent post and use the commenting space to ask the moderators about this. My guess is that there may have been concern that you were promoting the external software package in a commercial sense. If that's a misunderstanding, as I expect, it can be cleared up easily enough. As you can imagine, a forum like this is often preyed upon by commercial interests posing as rank and file members in order to promote their products. Hyper vigilant moderation is the unfortunate, but logical consequence of that. It's nothing personal; I myself have been "moderated" at least half a dozen times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back