Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Column internals factory inspection - process or mechanical

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesbanda

Chemical
Sep 21, 2004
US
Dear All,

i'd like to get some info on this as to what other companys do.

So for new column projects do your process engineers or mechanical handle the factory inspection of the trays ?

Who manages the construction quality checks and plans?

Do you inspect distributors and conduct flow tests? if so do you witness via mechanical or process ?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As old process engineer I want to be involved all along the way. Just in case some minor alterations have been made more opportunity to catch.

Construction quality inspection/checks usually left to mechanical/inspection people.

If your process allows I would try to get a water test on the tray so you can watch the flow pattern before closing the tower.

And you will want to check all trays and measure all critical dimensions AGAIN just before closing the tower, in case of erroneous installation or damage during transport (in case of trays installed in tower off site).

Take the process data sheet of your column licensor and see if the critical process dimensions were respect by the column constructor. One important check in a tray is the leveling of the tray. Other checks are water test the accumulator trays to see the acceptable leaking rate. Construction quality checks are also important. In a refinery this work is done by the inspection people.

regards

luismarques

james...

Is there a problem with bringing a rep from each discipline ?

Additionally, who wrote the design spec ?

Ultimately, it is the author(s) of that spec that must accept the equipment

-MJC

Echoing Ash9144's comment, As a plant process engineer I always did my own checks on tower internals. When there is a problem operating the tower down the road sometime, it will be the process engineer's lap on which it lands (the project people will be long gone), and you should know exactly what is inside and that it was installed correctly. I am aware of one tower where the "hats" on the chimney trays were installed upside down (it was not obvious which way they should go from the drawing). This cost a LOT of production until the problem was discovered and fixed.

Within the domestic US engineering and construction business, process engineers rarely buy anything including donuts on Friday ;-) The larger E&C firms have a QA group that is very strong for the mechanical and documentation aspects for equipment such as vessels. The QA support is normally very strong for welding and ASME code issues.

Within most firms, mechanical engineers buy the equipment including the internals. For another stab at some in the business, many engineers (process, mechanical and others) lack experience at fabricating shops, job sites or operating plants. I am a strong advocate for all engineers to participate in the activities at each of these locations.

In contrast to home office engineers with an E&C firm, operating company process engineers are very involved including witnessing the tray or packing installation.

BTW I am in the instrumentation and control systems business. Outside the control valve area, QA is not as helpful in the I&CS domain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back