Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Column Rebar - Relative Cost of Using Grade 500 MPa Rebar vs. Grade 400 MPa

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajk1

Structural
Apr 22, 2011
CA

What is the relative cost of columns reinforced with Grade 500 MPa (72,500 psi) vs Grade 400 MPa (58,000 psi) bars? The compression lap lengths are greater with the higher strength bars of course, and the per tonne cost is a little more, but is that more than balanced by the smaller amount of rebar? Has anyone ever tendered a project both ways to establish this, or perhaps established it by other means? Or is the higher grade steel used mainly to reduce congestion and not so much for cost considerations?

I ask this as a general question, and not in relation to any specific project. I am preparing typical details for columns, including development and splice length tables.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In my area (one European country) I can get Grade 500 only. Grade 400 is not produced by steel factory. So that is also something to consider.

But for pricing of building with all finishes, the cost difference you are asking will probably be negligible.

I would agree that the reduction in required area, would be offset almost perfectly by the increased development lengths and the material premium. You're probably talking a wash when you compare it to the entire building costs.

Would the reduced number of bars that have to be placed on site give the overall cost of grade 500 rebar a cost advantage over grade 400?

In order to get something more definitive than guesses and gut feelings, you'll need to contact some reinforcing suppliers for your area, get prices, and compare the total costs for some typical projects.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back