Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Column Stiffeners

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacGruber22

Structural
Jan 30, 2014
US
Have some moment frames where the beams frame into the columns at a 7.5/12 angle. On typical jobs, I provide the column stiffener/doubler requirements to the connection designers. I am wondering if it is reasonable to use the horizontal component of the bottom flange force to check the stiffener requirements.

Column web buckling is the limit state that I am particularly concerned doesn't work with the above logic.

sketch_sapyi8.png

"It is imperative Cunth doesn't get his hands on those codes."

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

MacGruber22 said:
I am wondering if it is reasonable to use the horizontal component of the bottom flange force to check the stiffener requirements.

I would say so. It's hard to imagine that the vertical component wouldn't head off vertically down the axially stiff interior column flange. I would also deem a horizontal stiffener to be more fab-friendly than a sloped one. KootK approved.

I like to debate structural engineering theory -- a lot. If I challenge you on something, know that I'm doing so because I respect your opinion enough to either change it or adopt it.

KootK - out of curiosity, do you provide the same to the fabricator? I am in the process of trying to help our office provide more efficient and fabricator/contractor friendly construction documents. We are in the mid-Atlantic where it seems connection design is usually farmed out.

I don't actually have a typical detail for the sloped condition. Prior to this conversation, I probably would have just shown the stiffener sloped "because it looks right".

I like to debate structural engineering theory -- a lot. If I challenge you on something, know that I'm doing so because I respect your opinion enough to either change it or adopt it.

I meant in general regarding column stiffeners. Our firm does not do it, but I believe that we should.

Ah... got it. We do specify the stiffeners in our typical details. That is mostly a matter of laziness and conservatism though. And the fact that I'm generally skeptical of the owner seeing the cost savings unless the project is running under a design assist setup. If the fabricator has tight connection forces to work with, I see no reason why the couldn't be given the option to use stiffeners or nothing/alternate means. I like the improved joint stability that you get with stiffeners but that's a "nice" thing not a "necessary" thing in most cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back