Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

column - vehicle impact protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

eng003

Structural
Jan 4, 2012
US
I have an isolated column that will be in close proximity to where cars will come in and out. Structure is a larger garage/barn accessory to residential. Apart from it being a good idea does any know of a code requirement i.e. ibc/irc for protecting the column from the vehicles? Also, what would be a good approach for protecting the column. Column may be either 8x8 timber or a 4" steel pipe. I was thinking of using a pipe and than casting the pipe in the center of a concrete bollard, would this really protect it though? as the concrete is in direct contact with the column. Isolated bollards around it would take up to much space I think.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This seems to me to be very similar to the recent developments for designing buildings against progressive collapse...or the current term of "disproportionate collapse". Basically you would design your structure around the concept of losing that column in an impact.

Try looking at the UFC 4-023 found here.

Casting the 4" pipe inside of a 12" pipe could work depending on how your base plate connection is configured. I have seen corrugated pipe used the same way. Choose your height and diameter.

I've used what are referred to as 'elephant feet'... this is a 2' dia or so sonotube cast around the column to be protected for a height of 3' or 4'...

Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back