Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

combining parts in assembly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

an iam is worthless without the parts. The iam just links to the parts and does not include them in its file.
Just attach a picture..
Are you looking to "demote" those 3 parts into their own subassembly?
Or maybe your are looking to "derive" them into a single part?

"remove the gear free spaces" makes me thing about "simplification" (or shrinkwrap) with void filling/envelopes.

...and if maybe he wants the worm gear teeth to intermesh, the only constraint that might work would be "tangent". Even that may fail depending on how the helix was generated.
There are ways to make constraints of one part dependent upon the position of another, which could simulate the intermeshing of gear teeth - but that's tricky and I'd like some clarification from the OP before trying to explain that.

STF

Dear Friends,
I apologize you that the assembly file did not open, but only one file can be attached. for this I attach the picture of assembly. as you see in the picture,first I draw two parts and then in design area I made a worm gear on them. now the worm gear and these two parts are apart from each other. first I want these parts to be one part. and second I want to remove the spaces between the teethes. Thanks for your help.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=8a4c8cf7-4b45-483d-af83-9fe884c37fae&file=worm_gear.bmp
I am a little puzzled by your "worm gear" arrangement... can you explain why it looks like it does?

Anyhow, you can make them one part with SHRINKWRAP. There is a button under the Modelling tab that will do this for you. If you do this they will NOT be movable relative to one another. They will be one fixed shape. I don't know why you would want to do this either, BTW.

STF

I must assume that you mean you want to combine the shaft (in blue) with the helical gear (in grey).

I've never tried this, but... I think it's possible to open both parts, and "tile" the part windows so that you can see both parts on the screen at the same time and BOTH feature trees in the browser window pane.
Then you can copy-past the features from one part to another. Maybe its just as easy to select all of the features of the helix part, press <ctrl>-C, then open the shaft part and press <ctrl>-P to paste. Before you do this, the helix must be able to survive the copying operation, which means it must be sketched using the same co-ordinates as the shaft. Otherwise its features will be placed in the other part with (a) no reference plane for its sketches, or (b) located somewhere else relative to the shaft.

Why didn't you just model the helix from the face of the shaft in the first place? That would have been easier.

STF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back