Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Combustible Gases in Oil Immersed Tranformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

emiluz

Electrical
Apr 5, 2007
PH
Any one knows where can I download, the specific data for the allowable amount of combustible gas in oil immersed substation transformer. I want to know the standard or the allowable quantities of such gases. I have a 3MVA transformer, using R-temp oil. In case I have failed the quantity limits, what are the posible options except changing the oil of the transformer?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

IEEE C57-104 is the Guide for the Interpretation of Gasses Generated in Oil-Immersed Transformers. What is allowable can be a function of the transformer design and service conditions.

If your transformer is performing out of limits then you may have an internal problem to fix (arcing), the insulation might be breaking down or something else could be going on. What you do depends on the cause of the gassing. Some conditions can be fixed by filtering or de-gassing the oil, others could be indicative of oil breakdown which could require changing the oil.

Hi
Gases produced from R-temp are not in same amount as from mineral oils. Also the lab that measure them have to be aware to calculate the concentration dissolved in oil different than in mineral oil.
The data for R-temp is not available for download.
In my experience with this oil, high concentrations of all gases are not an indication for malfunctions as were the situation in mineral oil.

I have a specification produced by SD Myers for combustable gas, IFT, power factor and karl fischer criteria. It was very usefull to me for diagnosing issues we had with a 50MVA unit we operate in Haiti.

Tim,

Read faq559-1177

Upload the file to a fileshare service and post the link here.

----------------------------------
image.php
Sometimes I only open my mouth to swap feet...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back