Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Command Toolbar question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Assocracer

Mechanical
Dec 8, 2011
US
Was wondering how do I keep commands buttons that I add to the toolbar? Basically, I am adding a few buttons thru the right click on the tool bar/commands/and then dragging the command to the tool bar, but when I close out of Pro-e and go back into it those commands are gone and I have to add them again every time I restart Pro-E. VERY annoying. I don't know a lot about how to customize the menus or anything like that. Fairly new to Pro-E in the workplace. I'm running Wildfire 4.0. Thanks for any help I get!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

PTC stores that information in a file called config.win which should be located in the startup directory. Before you enter ProE, right click the ProE icon and select properties and look at the "start-in" field. That is the default location of your config.win file. Then cancel and open ProE and make all of your customizations including menu bar positions and select the save to file option on the bottom and browse to the config.win file you found above. Then save and exit ProE. When you restart your changes should be there.

Hope that helps,

- J -

So how do I get to the menu where I make those customizations and save it to a file? And how do I know what is what considering Pro-E only seems to have the names of things and not icons to add to that menu if you know what I mean? Like if I go into Tools/Options I just get a list of everything it looks like. Is this where I make my changes?

The tools>options menu is the config.pro which is the area where the configuration options are changed. These are different from the window configuration options of config.win. The tools>options would be used for things like default view states, tolerance settings, iges export settings, and hundreds of other deeper ProE settings. The config.win will save things such as if you add the "set working directory" button to a toolbar, it will remember that addition and you will always have it when you start ProE. The config.win applies to the tools>customize screen menu...not the tools>options.

If you are adding buttons to a toolbar or arranging toolbars then go to tools>customize screen, make your additions/changes and then save it to the startup directory using the browse option under the pulldown menu next to the automatically save to checkbox at the bottom of the customize screen menu. Also be sure not to rename the config.win file either. When you browse to the startup directory you should see the default config.win...just save over that and it will work.

Hope that helps,

- J -

Assocracer,

The config.win file stores multiple copies just like most other Pro/E files except Config.pro which has the settings options for included functionality. Keep a look at the file size because if the Config.Win or Config.pro files get very large it will delay the launch of pro/e while loading all the data.

You can also just make a Mapkey to load the config.win file you want using Full Path so you can load it no mater what your startup directory after Pro/E is launched.
Very good response Jvian have a star for your effort. [wavey]

Example Mapkey 0?? I used 0 to place it near top of the Mapkey List Tools>Mapkeys and CS for customize screen. if you add these lines into the Mapkey area of your LoadPiont config.pro file you'll always have the mapkey no matter what start directory your ProE shortcut.lnk file points to.

mjcole said:
mapkey 0cs @MAPKEY_NAME}Loads Customize Screen Settings\nusing Full Path;mapkey(continued) @MAPKEY_LABEL}Load Customize Settings;~ Command `ProCmdUtilToolbarCustomize` ;mapkey(continued) ~ Select `toolbar_edit` `MenuBar1`1 `menu_file`;mapkey(continued) ~ Close `toolbar_edit` `MenuBar1`;~ Close `toolbar_edit` `menu_file`;mapkey(continued) ~ Activate `toolbar_edit` `psh_open`;mapkey(continued) ~ Update `file_open` `Inputname` `C:\\Documents and ~ mapkey(continued) Settings\\MJCOLE\\Docs\cad\_ProE\PROE_WF2\config.win;\
mapkey(continued) Activate `toolbar_edit` `psh_ok`;

1) Just replace italic text 0cs on line 1 with the key sequence you want to use for your mapkey to load settingsmapkey
2) and the 2 lines also shown in italics
"mapkey(continued) ~ Update `file_open` `Inputname` `C:\\Documents and ~ mapkey(continued) Settings\\MJCOLE\\Docs\cad\_ProE\PROE_WF2\config.win;\"
With the file location of the Config.win you want to use.

Michael

"It's not the size of the Forum that matters, It's the Quality of the Posts"

Michael Cole
Boston, MA
CSWP, CSWI, CSWTS
Follow me on !w¡#$%
@ TrajPar - @ Shweep
= ProE = SolidWorks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back