Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Common Usage of LFMC, LFNC 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvanH

Mechanical
Mar 7, 2003
US
NEC Articles 350.10 and 356.10 both use the language "Where conditions...require flexibility or protection of liquids..."

In common practice, is this interpreted as only device which need to move or vibrate are allowed to be connected with flexible conduit, instead of rigid or thin-walled conduit?

Or is it allowed more liberally, that saving labor and difficulty is a good enough justification to use flexible conduit to connect devices?

Thanks for any insight,

Evan

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

NEC Articles 350.10 and 356.10 both use the language "Where conditions...require flexibility or protection of liquids..."

In common practice, is this interpreted as only device which need to move or vibrate are allowed to be connected with flexible conduit, instead of rigid or thin-walled conduit? Yes

Or is it allowed more liberally, that saving labor and difficulty is a good enough justification to use flexible conduit to connect devices? No!

See Article 90 .1,.5,.6, Article 110 .1,.2,.3,.8,.11,.12

Is there any difference in this answer for industrial machinery applications, as opposed to facility wiring, does anyone know? I've seen lots of devices connected with sealtite, like switches, solenoid valves, etc. that don't physically move, so I'm just wondering what the typical justification is.

Thanks again,
-Evan

Is there any difference in this answer for industrial machinery applications, as opposed to facility wiring, does anyone know? No
The problem is if the local AHJ inspection at installation
that wiring method may not be in compliance with the code.
The AHJ my give you some relief if the wiring method is not a flagrant violation. By this I mean if rigid raceway could not have be used is place of this non approved method.
I've seen lots of devices connected with sealtite, like switches, solenoid valves, etc. that don't physically move, so I'm just wondering what the typical justification is.

These items can be adjusted such limit switches, valve coils
can be removed from their base for service.

NFPA 79 is used for Industrial Machinery and it permits the use of liquidtight flexible conduit and/or multiconductor cable (see section 16.3 Machine wiring).

David Baird
mrbaird@hotmail.com

Sr Controls Engineer

EET degree.

Journeyman Electrician.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back