Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Common use cases for corrosion wax tape?

Status
Not open for further replies.

YungPlantEng

Chemical
Jan 19, 2022
US
I'm re-doing a small natural gas pipeline and wanted to use a typical two-part epoxy for the piping with a corrosion wax tape applied over fittings, welds, valves, and support sections to further reduce the potential of corrosion to those parts. Is this a typical use case for corrosion wax tape or do I have it backwards? My concern with doing it over the entire pipeline is how difficult it would be to identify where a leak was coming from due to the thickness of the tape and potential for the gas to propagate along the tape in the case of a leak.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Ideally , wax tape should be applied directly to clean bare metal. Applying over paint negates the self-healing qualities of wax tape.

With that said, wax tape does protect the coating from damage.

Primers are available for use with wax tapes.

Not exactly sure what you mean by wax tape but yes, coat the line with epoxy and irregular shapes you can use the wax tape, whether that be the old Denso mastic and tape, or the newer viscoelastic mastics and overcoat. Don't put it over welds, use the 2 part epoxy for those, valves you can also use 2 part epoxy. Just use it for the fittings. It is not normal to have an epoxy line and tape at the girthwelds,cold wrapped tapes are far inferior to epoxy coating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back