Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

communications from ML1400 to Panelview1000

Status
Not open for further replies.

hrcooper

Electrical
Aug 31, 2011
US
OK..now that I can download the program to the Panelview (had to use a AB CF card for that)

Hardware is the ML1400, the Panelview1000 2711-T10C3, and a 1767-AIC unit.

The ML has CH0 for the programming port, CH1 is ethernet and the DB9 is CH2. I connected from the DB9 to either the DB9 or the circular mini (with external power to the AIC). I connected from the AIC to the PV1000 using a RJ45, thru the terminal block. The wiring is RJ45.1 to TB.3(A), RJ45.2 to TB.4(B) and RJ45.6 to TB.6 (chassis ground). Autobaud is selected.

The TX green LEDs for both the DB9 and the terminal block are flashing. They stop flashing when I pull the terminal block so it seems as if its trying to communicate.

In RSlogix500, under channel states for channel 2 im just getting bad packets/sent NAKs but no other traffic.

The PV1000 comm LED is flashing (meaning comm error I assume) and setting a different node doesnt seem to affect it in the DH-485 setup screen.

RSlinx doesnt see anything on the network but not sure it can "see" thru the ML1400 or not.

So...what am I doing wrong..is it a setup problem, connection/wiring problem? This has been just a nightmare project and its not over yet.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

OK..if I swap A/B the data LED goes off. Now one thing I came across is the RJ45 is for programming but for communications the longer DH485 port has to be used? I have a cable that I can use for this, but not sure of the pinout.

According to the link

Pin 1 and 2 are the A/B and pin 4 is the common. So I tried this on both the DH485 connector and the RJ45. In both cases I was getting the tx/rx LED to flash showing I assume..traffic. When I go into the Panelview comms setup an change the node, it shuts off the LEDs momentarily. The comm port is set for DF1 full duplex. The ML1400 can configure for DH-485...is there a reason I cant go direct from the DB9 com2 to the DH-485 port on the PV1000 ?

Both that Ukraine-hosted 2006-vintage PDF file and the link I provided above agree: on the RJ45 side of the 1761-CBL-AS03 or 1761-CBL-AS09 cable, Pin 1 is Data A, Pin 2 is Data B, and Pin 4 is Data Common.

Those terminals are clearly labeled "A, B, COM" on the six-terminal connector of the 1761-NET-AIC. Connect A to A, B to B, Common to COM.

The correct cable connection is from the six-terminal connector on the 1761-NET-AIC to the RJ45 connector on the PanelView terminal. The other flat "AMP" connector is for connection to SLC-5/01, 5/02, and 5/03 network ports.

On the MicroLogix controller, the port that you are connecting to the 1761-NET-AIC must be set for DH485 protocol so that it can talk to the PanelView.

It's OK for the other serial port on the MicroLogix to stay DF1 Full Duplex, or any other protocol. But the one connected to this PanelView terminal must be set for DH485.

Eddie

Thanks for the update. So I have com2 connected to the DB9 on the AIC, and com2 in the PLC set for DH485. RJ45 connected as you noted.

Now at least I think things are connected, but not talking. Depending on how things are set on the PV and ML, I get an error 613, or duplicate node found (must mean it see's the ML), or no active nodes found.

So hows the comm setup supposed to be in order to get the PV1000 to talk to the ML1400 ?

If I set the PV1000 to some address...say 8 I get the error 613 required network nodes not found....searching on that tells me that its communicating but its trying to address something invalid in the PLC?

The basic principle is that the MicroLogix controller and the PanelView (and your programming computer, if it's hooked up) need different DH485 Node Addresses.

Very often the PLC is set for Node 1, and the PanelView is set for Node 2.

Then the PanelView needs to know that the PLC is Node 1. That's done when you set up the Node Table in PanelBuilder32.

If you can ZIP and attach the *.PBA file and *.RSS file I can help verify that your addressing is correct. Send me a message via the Forum if you don't want to post publicly.

Thanks for posting those files !

You need to fix two configuration details to make this network function.

First, you need to configure the MicroLogix Channel 2 for DH485 protocol. In RSLogix 500, in the Channel Configuration for Channel 2 (the DB9 serial connector) change the Driver to "DH485". Leave all the other settings at the defaults; Node #1, Link ID 1, Hold Factor 2, Max Node 31, Speed 19200.

Second, you need to configure the PanelView to be Node #2 on the DH485 network. In PanelBuilder32, in the Communications Setup window, set the Terminal Node Address to 2.

Leave all the other settings the same, including the Maximum Node Address 31 and the speed 19200. Also leave the "controller" definition set to point to a MicroLogix controller at Node 1.

Eddie

THANK YOU very much....figured it was something simple...just sometimes you stare at something for so long and nothing seems to make sense. Its working now.

Again...many thanks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back