Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compact vs Slender and Non-Slender 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocks1

Structural
Jan 25, 2019
US
Can an axial compression member be slender and the same member be compact in flexure? Or once it is slender is it automatically non-compact or considered a slender element?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sure.

In the AISC Specification Table B4.1a, compare b/t to lambda_r to determine if the element is nonslender or slender for axial compression. This will determine what part of Chapter E is used to compute the axial strength.

Then go over to Table B4.1b and compare b/t to lambda_p and lambda_r to determine if the element is compact, noncompact, or slender for flexure. This will determine what part of Chapter F is used to compute the flexural strength.

An example of a section that is slender for axial but compact for flexure is a Gr. 50 W16x26 (among many others). In Table 1-1, there's a "c" footnote on W16x26 indicating it is slender for compression. h/tw > lambda_r from Table B4.1a. However, there's no "f" footnote. It's compact for flexure per Table B4.1b.

Yes, there are different code sections to determine the element of a cross sections slenderness depending on whether it is stressed from axial compression or flexure.

Therefore, when I'm calculating the flexural strength, I base it on the slenderness classification of elements in flexural compression. Similarly, when I look at compressive strength, I base those calculations on the classification of elements in axial compression.

It's a little weird to think about. But, that's the way it is.

The flange and web will have separate limits so you need to check them both.

I'll show you the check for a W12x14 with 50ksi steel, which has a web that is Slender for compression and Compact for flexure.

Per Table B4.1b:
lambda_p = 0.38√E/Fy = 9.2 (Flexural Slenderness Limit for Compact - I-Shape Flange)
lambda_r = 1.0 √E/Fy = 24.1 (Flexural Slenderness Limit for NonCompact - I-Shape Flange)

bf/(2*tf) = 8.82, so flange is Nonslender for compression and Compact for flexure

Per Table B4.1b:
lambda_p = 3.76√E/Fy = 90.6 (Flexural Slenderness Limit for Compact - I-Shape Web)
lambda_r = 5.70√E/Fy = 137 (Flexural Slenderness Limit for NonCompact - I-Shape Web)

h/tw = 54.3, so web is Slender for compression and Compact for flexure

Structural Central

We had a very interesting, recent discussion about this here: Link. That thread was in the context of the Canadian steel code but all of the important bits should be germane to this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back