Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

compaction near sheet piles

Status
Not open for further replies.

cvg

Civil/Environmental
Dec 16, 1999
US
some specs I have seen require ground surface to be at the final level before placing sheet piles. however, a) that makes it difficult to install tie backs and b) placing fill before piling is not always feasible. so, what precautions should be taken if compacted fill is to be placed behind piles?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

given that the sheet piles will be in water, fill will probably start with gravel and rock with no compaction until reaching the water level. but I am worried about settlement. another thought was to tremie concrete in lifts until above the water level so as to keep the pressure on the sheet piles to a minimum

To avoid building up too much pressure, above active, stay 2 feet from wall with ALL compactors. This applies to all walls retaining fill. Also follow PEinc rule above. I've measured these pressures and they otherwise can get for above design numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back