Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Compaction Test

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pritom_756

Geotechnical
Dec 18, 2020
BD
How do I do a compaction test at field with aggregate size ranges from 20 mm -30 mm?
In a project, it is suggested to do ground improvement with coarse aggregate only(size ranging from 20-30 mm) but without using any sand. In the design, it is mentioned that 95% compaction to be achieved. Due to bigger particle size and in absence of sand, there will be natural voids. So would you pls help, by providing any suggestion how to do the test or alternate test method.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You could look up what the US Corps of Engineers have in their specs forth this size material. They have some standard tests for that material when used for earth dams, etc.

This is always a big issue. USBR had a correction factor for larger sizes where a significant percentage (> 30) was larger than the 19 mm (20 mm). I beieve that this has been dropped now but still would be provided for in older references. You could do a test fill. You could also do vibrating hammer of the material in a mould to see what is achievable. I have the same problem on a present job where certain people want to use a Russian standard rather than USBR/USACE or EN procedures (i.e., test fill). 95% would be taken as the percentage of the "achievable" max dry density.

You could look up Talbot's paper in ASTM STP 1384.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back