Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compare corrosion of 304Lss to 316Lss for SO2 and SO2 queous

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace12

Chemical
May 1, 2012
US
I recently had some pipe installed for an SO2 line but I made the mistake of having fittings for two different projects sitting next to each other. So when the contractor finished their work I noticed that they had mixed in a few 304Lss fittings with the rest of the project that was 316Lss.

My question is does SO2 corrode 304Lss more than 316Lss? Also how do they compare with aqueous SO2 (sulfurous acid)?

You may have saw this post under chemical engineering, I noticed I accidently placed it under the wrong topic.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

SO2 reacts with water to form sulfurous acid H2SO3, not H2SO4 sulfuric acid. It acts much differently than sulphuric which is often extremely corrosive to both 304 and 316.

To form sulphuric acid the reaction is SO3 + H2O --> H2SO4.

From reading I have seen that 316L is the standard to use on both SO2 and H2SO3 services but I was wondering if it really makes too much of a difference if you use 304L instead.

We use 316 liners for high acid gases. No 304. As far as I know, 304 is actually better for CL.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If it's not safe ... make it that way.

Yah I'm just going to have the piping re done to the recommended. Rather fix it now than face down time later.

Thanks Everyone!

Our choices typicaly are 13% CR super Martensitic, 22% CR duplex, 25% super, or 316 lined or clad, 825 lined or clad.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If it's not safe ... make it that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back