Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compare corrosion resistance of martensitic stainless hard to soft? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

is2634

Mechanical
Sep 7, 2010
US
Recently during a comparison test of various martensitic stainless steels I included a soft sample with my hardened specimens. By soft I mean as delivered from the metal supplier (presumably annealed; for 440C, the hardness measured a 20 on the Rockwell C scaled compared to 60 for the heat treated specimen.)
At 85 °C, 85 % relative humidity for 120 hours, the soft specimen had virtually no corrosion while the hardened specimen exhibited noticable corrosion.
Did the test get compromised? I have always read statements such as "to maximize corrosion resistance in martensitic stainless steel one must meet a minimum hardness value". Does that statement only apply when you perform some type of hardening process?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What was the surface condition of the heat treated specimen versus the as-received sample? Was the heat treated specimen machined in any way such that the surface had been subjected to material removal processes prior to heat treatment? Was the entire surface corroded or was it only the areas that had been machined/cut/sectioned. Was it passivated (I suspect that it was not)? A little more detail could go a long way in helping us to zero in on your problem.

Maui

When you harden these alloys you form Cr carbides, this effectively removes Cr from the base alloy thus lowering the corrosion resistance.
Since they will mostly be M23C6 so each atom of C will tie up ~4 atoms of Cr.
When the material is annealed all of the Cr is in the matrix and helps form the chrome oxide passive film that provides corrosion resistance.
Variation in surface finish will only make this worse as the heat treated samples often have some residual surface oxidation that further lowers corrosion resistance.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Plymouth Tube

Ed yet another star for you!

Thanks EdStainless! That is exactly what I was hoping someone could explain to me.

Maui,
The samples were prepared identically with milling and turning prior to heat treat. The only difference would be that the ones coming through heat treat would have been sandblasted after heat treat. The hardened sample was passivated as well.

Pictures are attached.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=7b0be185-4128-49e9-90e1-71f4a3236d35&file=440C_Corrosion.pdf
Maui, we used nitrogen blanket furnaces rather than vacuum.
The process applied to the sample was:
Preheat @ 1000F
High Heat @ 1950F
Forced Air Quench
Cold Treatment to -100F
Temper @ 475F for 2 hours
Citric Acid Passivation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back