Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Comparing 316L SS to Ti Comm 1 or 2 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bry

Mechanical
Jan 12, 2002
GB
Hi,

Has anyone any opinions with regards 316L SS and Ti comm 1/ 2? Personally I believe their similar regarding mechanial properties apart from Ti lightness better corriosion resistance, does Ti comm 1 and 2 gall easily, I believe its quite a good machining material etc.

Anyway opinions are welcome

Bry

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Bry,

316SS vs. CP1 and CP2 Ti alloys. Annealed 316SS has a minimum yield strength of 30 ksi and minimum tensile strength of 75 ksi. Annealed CP1 Ti has minimum yield strength of 25 ksi and minimum tensile strength of 35 ksi. Annealed CP2 has 40 and 50 ksi minimum yield and tensile values respectively. The CP grades of Ti are generally more machinable than the 316SS, this is due to the high strain-hardening exponent inherent in all the 300 series stainless steels. Andy

Bry,

You haven't given us any information about your application which, of course, would be very useful....

Typically, the additional cost of Ti alloys are justified by corrosion resistance, particularly in a chlorine environment. The "light weight" is most useful to aircraft and space vehicle designers..... oh yeah, and "golf club head" people also.

Be aware that you should also investigate the "stiffness" required for you application.... Ti alloys have a Young's Modulus of about half that of Carbon or Stainless steel !!

This means that for applications like heat exchanger tubes in a "shell and tube" heat exchanger, there must be many more baffles installed to support Titanium tubes than for other alloys.

and are useful sites...

Please give us more info and Good Luck !!!

MJC

Hi MJC,

I'm hoping to design and custom build a military style dive watch, i.e. the type used by the special forces like the SBS,Seals,Royal Marines etc. I reckon i'll use SS 316L because it feels much more substantial compared to Ti.
If you pick up a IWC AT 2000m Ti and compare it to the SS version, it feels like a Mickey Mouse watch weight wise.

Thanks for the help anyway

Bry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back