Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

comparison between motors

Status
Not open for further replies.

zaza123

Electrical
Dec 3, 2008
SA
I have two motors Existing & New motor

New Motor
460 V Delta,60 HZ,cos Phi=0.89, Current : 18A 11 KW
IP 55 81 KG S1 1M B3 60 HZ rpm : 3515
160M-PB01Z-V
DE 6309 ZZ C3 DIN 625
NE 6308 ZZ C3 DIN 625
Make : SCHORCH

Existing Motor
460 V Star, Current : 16.8A 11KW
IP W55 SI UT Grade deg centigrade
S1 21362 4 Ins class F/B rpm: 3526
DE: 6309 Z/C3
NDE : 6309 Z/C3
Wt : 105 KG
Make : ABB

Are these motors one to one replacement. The new motor is Delta connected.Above which rating you need Star/delta starter.How to know the frame size is same , both are 160M

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If frame size is not given measure the shaft height.
Below 37.5 kW you seldom have to worry about reduced current starting. At 37.5 and above look for a different method of reducing the starting current. Star delta is falling out of favor because of the current spike at the transition and the availability of soft starters.
Comparing the rated currents and rated speeds, it appears that the proposed replacement is a higher slip motor and it may be a 1.1 service factor motor.
IT DEPENDS
In some applications this may be a drop-in replacement.
In some applications the overload device may have to be adjusted for the higher current although this is a good idea in any case.
The conductors should be reviewed to verify that they have adequate ampacity for the higher current motor. This is more of an issue in Canada than the US. Check your local code.
Speed and slip. In many applications close enough is close enough, but for speed critical applications the slightly lower speed and higher slip may cause issues.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

The Scorch motor is a European 160M frame. The ABB motor should have a type number somewhere - post a photo of the nameplate if you have one.

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

Also, I suspect that 11kw motor is NOT 105kg! Otherwise, looks like pretty much the same motor for any ordinary application.

The ABB motor is Class F insulation with Class B rise so it is pretty conservatively rated thermally. I don't see any Insulation Class or thermal data on the Schorch motor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back