Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

compatibility of different versions of QuickDesigner

Status
Not open for further replies.

kilculb

Industrial
May 13, 2003
US
I am after some information on compatibility of different versions of QuickDesigner.

We have various pieces of Quickpanel code on site, with the software stored onto disk as .prj files. We have opened the files in notepad and notice that some files were built with QuickDesigner Version 3.40 and the rest with Quickdesigner version 3.60.

We have Quickdesigner version 3.70 which we will be using to upload and download software to the Quickpanels. I notice that if the file is imported into QuickDesigner and then exported back out, the new .prj file contains Build version 3.70.

Does this mean that these new .prj files will no longer be compatible with the older versions of QuickDesigner (which our vendors will continue to use)? i.e. will the vendor be able to import the V3.70 files in 3.60 or 3.40?

I have been told that the QuickDesigner version updates are major updates and are often not compatible with previous versions.

Has anyone had problems with version compatibility with QuickDesigner.

Thanks

Kilculb

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

kilculb,

I know that at 3.60 you can convert older versions however you cannot go back. I did download to a file and then one of my sister plants downloaded that file to a Quickpanel with an earlier version. They just could not upload it from the Quickpanel , version incompatibility. Some additional info about quickdesigner is that lastest version may not support certain Quickpanels, so be careful there also. They way I understood it was, that the new Machine Edition software will program those Quickpanels. This may be something else to keep in mind. The Machine Edition is intended to replace both Versa Pro and Quickpanel. So dont' be surprised if you will need to convert in the near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back