Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compatibility of polymers with Carbonic acids

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidmoul

Materials
Jun 20, 2008
FR
High guys,

I'm looking for some compatibility charts for some polymers with carbonic acid (to use these polymers in a wet CO2 environment).

Where can I found these data for:

Polyesterimide?
Epoxys?
Polyimide?

You will certainly tell me it depends of the exact polymer (especially for epoxys), but the idea is to check for general compatibility, and then to look deeper what could be problematic.

Many thanks for our kind help,

David

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In fact I'm looking for the polyesterimide, which is considerer as a modified polyimide by the manufacturer, and as similar properties in terms of corrosion.

Thank you for your help.

I see. One of those fancy high temperature rated cable coating resins.

I think DuPont will be your best source of information, that is if they see it as in their interests to provide it.

I have no data, so I can only guess, but carbonic acid is especially weak as an acid, and the ester link is especially sensitive to hydrolysis.

If the in use environment is at a high temperature and humidity, hydrolysis will be an issue. Tests at room temperature will be of little use if you need a long life exposed to carbonic acid at high temperatures.

Regards
Pat
See FAQ731-376 for tips on use of eng-tips by professional engineers &
for site rules

Thank you for your help,

in fact, it is for a CO2 application (99% of CO2, <1ppm of water) at relatively low temperature (40°C) and pressure (3 bar), so there should not be liquid water, so no acid.

Anyway, during the tests phases, the machine can be open for inspection a couple of time, getting humidity inside and we already had some surprises on other application. That's why we are checking for this new application.

It doesn't seem to be a big issue. Next step would be practical test in gaz conditions on the different material we have a doubt with.

Thank you for your helpful advices, I feel less lonely!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back