Compensating for a specific substance in conductivity measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.

jari001

Chemical
Aug 9, 2013
US
Hi everyone,

I've been asked to confirm that a toroidal conductivity probe inserted into a line that holds CIP (clean in place) solution, which in this case is WFI (water for injection) and NaOH upto some concentration, is compensated for NaOH. I know conductivity meters can be temperature compensating, but can they also compensate* for specific substances? I believe this is neither necessary nor possible, and I am hoping the vendor can just reference the order package, but I'm curious to know if my instinct was right or wrong.

*Compensation can mean to correct the measurement so as to ignore contributions from the NaOH or ensure the contribution from the NaOH is properly taken into account (e.g. possible non linear contribution to conductivity?).

Instrument:
Analog conductivity sensor Indumax CLS54
Link

Thanks,
J

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I got confirmation from the vendor of the instrument that it is possible to compensate for some common chemicals (NaOH, HCl, NaCl, etc.). However I am not sure why compensation would be required since a direct measurement of the solution's conductivity/resistivity is taken. Any input is appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back