Complete penetration weld Vs Full penetration weld

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRW75

Structural
Oct 14, 2004
US
Hey folks,
I've always described a full depth partial penetration weld as a "full penetration weld", which is distinctly different than a complete penetration weld where back gouging is required. Are the terms Full penetration and Complete penetration completely interchangeable by code? i.e. If a full penetration weld is described then that implies that back gouging is required? I've always thought that if I wanted a CP weld, I had to explicitly call it out in the tail? I thought that when calling out say a double bevel weld without size call out and without a tail, that it would be a full depth partial penetration weld, or what I like to call a full pen weld.

If there is a reference to a code statement to that effect that would be great to know

thanks

dan

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A "full depth partial penetration weld" is a PJP no matter what you choose to call it but calling it a "full penetration weld" is asking for trouble. Only a Complete Joint penetration weld is a CJP.

Change you use of "full depth partial penetration weld" to describe something that IS NOT a CJP.

Thanks folks, pretty clear from AWS A3.0... I don't remember where (or from who) I started using that term but I've had them in my head for about 15 year. I have to try to unlearn that now!
As well to clarify (after re-examining AWS A2.4), it does seem as though not specifying weld size for a groove weld implies a complete joint penetration weld, and not a full depth partial penetration weld. It's funny how something can stick in your head, with no documented basis...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back