Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Completely lost with animations!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kokoking

Materials
Mar 27, 2009
IE
Hey all,
trying to make animations with solid works 2007, and i just cant get it to work. I know im prob doing something real silly as I havnt much experience with solid works but heres my problem.
Iv added on the animator using add ins and can create animations using the wizard but when creating my own it just dosnt seam to work.
I move the object, drag the time bar as instructed, the time moves but the object just stays in original position (regardless how rotated or moved) when played.
I did it once in college and remember we had to turn something on/Off just not quiet sure what. sorry for silly question but its wreaking my head
would be so grateful for any help
Cheers

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You need to move the timeline, then the object. Sounds like you're doing it backwards.

Jeff Mirisola, CSWP, Certified DriveWorks AE
CAD Administrator, Ultimate Survival Technologies
My Blog

sorry prob didnt explain well but that what i was doing timeline then object and still no luck, the black marks that represent the key properties (what ever position it in first) just keeps moving instead of creating another position in timeline

If you want to add an event at some intermediate point on the timeline you go to that point on the timeline and on the row for that event (such as changing the suppression state of a mate) then RMB to add an event by selecting "Place Key". This will create a black marker.

Normally SWX is superb for its help files, but using the Index section of their help and looking for items related to Animation or Motion yielded surprisingly little. However, if you go to the general help and the Search tab you should look for "Animation Wizard" and "Basic Motion Overview". For newbies this should be a very good start.

If you have SWX Premium there is a tutorial for SWX Motion.

Hope this helps.

- - -Updraft

Go through the tutorials again (within v2007). Some of this stuff is sort of backwardly-intuitive, but the tutorials will help straighten this out.

When you put your timeline where you want it, copy the last key for the component (CTRL-C) where it was last placed, paste it on your current timeline (CTRL-V). Select the new point you placed, and while the point is selected, move your part. This updates your key to the new position.

Jeff Mowry
A people governed by fear cannot value freedom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back