Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Complex surfaces with NX 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

anmorgan

Automotive
Nov 3, 2009
US
Hello, I've been using NX 5 for a couple of years now and the one thing I've been unsure about is how to make complex sheets like the picture attached. Taking those lines (not necessarily those specifically) and making it into a surface with a thickness.

Is there an option to actually create that? or do I have to just be clever with my sweeps.

If there is a way to create a sheet from curves (which there is a tool for that, but I don't understand how to apply it).

If anyone can show a step by step example that would be awesome. Thanks for the help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

OK, I've created an NX 5.0 model based on your picture (5 Sketches forming a mesh of curves). Using these 5 curves I've created 5 surfaces using 3 different Surface creation methods. In two of the methods I used alternative schemes in terms of the order in which I selected the curves thus giving me 5 different surfaces.

What you need to do is open the Part Navigator and you will see the Datums and Sketches along with the 5 Surfaces (which are currently suppressed). You will also note that I've renamed each of the surfaces to indicate exactly what method and scheme I used to create each of them. To see the results just unsuppress, one at a time, the 5 surfaces and you will see what each looks like. To get a feel for the differences, unsuppress 2 or more at a time (each surface was edited to have a different color so that you can better see the differences) or if you wish, unsuppress them all. Note that if you edit each surface (by double-clicking so that are using 'Edit w/Rollback') you will get a better feel as to how they were created. You may also wish to adjust some of the additional options offered with each method so that you can see how these can effect the shape or behavior of the surface.

Anyway, take a look and see if this helps.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Hi anmorgan!

It's all depends on which package you do have, but in my opinion a better alternative to "Sweep" (based on your attached file) would be "Through Curve Mesh..." function, then apply a "Thicken" to the result sheet body.

You probably can execute "Through Curve Mesh..." since its licence resides in the same package as "Sweep" which is the "nx_freeform_1".

I don't think that is necessary a step by step explanation for this function because it is a very straighforward one. You simply select the primary curves, the cross curves, the desired continuity and click apply.

Happy modeling!

Hey guys thanks for the help.

I was having troubles with the Through Curve Mesh, but now realized you have to add a new set for each line, so I was able to create my own shape.

And I actually discovered the Studio Surface feature last night. So thanks for the help on that.

Next thing: I saw that you said you could thicken the surface, but how do you do that? That option is not popping out at me. So Ideally I would like to make these surfaces solids, can you do that?

Thanks again

Try the following : Insert --> offset/scale --> thicken. Now you have a solid and you can hide your sheet by placing it on an invisible layer.

Best regards,

Michäël.

NX4+TC9 / NX6+TC8Unified / NX7.5 native

Okay that is pretty neat. This helps a lot. Another thing, how do you place it on an invisible layer. And if I were to export this for machining or use this to do FEA, would that surface be considered?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back