Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

complying to UL safety requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

crb1976

Mechanical
Feb 22, 2011
I have a spec that states that our equipment "shall meet UL safety requirements". This equipment is being imported from china and most of the electrical will be sourced there as well, I need to tell my contacts in china which components need to be UL certified. But iam not sure which ones need to meet the cert for the machine as a whole to meet the requirement.

If the all of the electrical components are wired to a UL certified panel will I be able to neglect the individual UL certs?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Even if all components are UL listed, your machine as a whole is not.
Even if none of the components are UL listed your machine can still become UL certified.
It is much easier/cheaper if your components are already approved though.

"shall meet UL safety requirements" I read that as your machine itself must go through a certification process. So in an effort to make getting your product approved you should request that all components carry some sort of UL approval. (listed or recognized)
Anything that is UL recognized make sure you request conditions of acceptability so that you can put the extra requirements into your machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back